From the back cover:
Following the Detectives follows the trail of over 20 of crime fiction’s greatest investigators, discovering the cities and countries in which they live and work. Edited by one of the leading voices in crime fiction, Maxim Jakubowski, each entry is written by a crime writer, journalist or critic with a particular expertise in that detective and the fictional crimes that have taken place in each city’s dark streets and hidden places. Following the Detectives is the perfect way for crime fiction fans to truly discover the settings of their favourite detective novels.
Following the Detectives is a beautiful book both to look at and to read. It’s full of information about each detective, with colour photos, details of film/theatre/TV dramatisations and clear maps showing the locations, plus links to useful websites. It’s just what you need – a cross between a crime fiction companion and a travel guide.
The detectives include:
- Ian Rankin’s Rebus – Edinburgh by Barry Forshaw
- Raymond Chandler’s Philip Marlowe – Los Angeles by Maxim Jakubowski
- Donna Leon’s Brunetti – Venice by Barry Forshaw
- Sara Paretsky’s Warshawski – Chicago by Dick Adler & Maxim Jakubowski
- Arnaldur Indidason’s Erlendur – Iceland by Peter Rozovsky
- John Dee MacDonald’s Travis McGee – Florida by Clive Cogdill
- Colin Dexter’s Morse – Oxford by Martin Edwards
- Henning Mankell’s Wallender – Sweden by Barry Forshaw
- George V Higgins’s Eddie Coyle – Boston by Michael Carson
- John Harvey’s Charlie Resnick – Nottingham by John Harvey
- Andrea Camilleri’s Montalbano – Sicily by Peter Rozovsky
- George Pelecanos’s Washington DC by Sarah Weinman
- Peter James’s Roy Grace – Brighton by Barry Forshaw
- James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux – New Orleans by Maxim Jakubowski
- Georges Simenon’s Maigret -Paris by Barry Forshaw
- Ellis Peters’s Brother Cadwell – Shropshire by Martin Edwards
- Dashiell Hammett’s Sam Spade – San Francisco by J Kingston Pierce
- Declan Hughes’s Ed Loy – Dublin by Declan Burke
- Ross Macdonald’s Lew Archer – Southern California by Michael Carson
- Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes – London by David Stuart Davies
- Lawrence Block’s Matt Scudder – New York by Sarah Weinman
It’s a treasure trove of information.
My thanks go to the publishers who kindly sent me a copy of this book. Following the Detectives is published by New Holland publishers, price £17.99. Enter the discount code BooksPlease at the checkout to receive 20% discount and free p&p (offer valid until 31 December 2010).