I have been having a sort out of both my physical and e-books and realised I have several books by John Le Carré, that I’d like to read sometime this year. I have three ‘real’ books by him and nine e-books. I’ve only read two (three now April 2022) of them!
Books shown in bold are the ones I’ve read and those in italics are the ones I own that I have yet to read. There are nine books in the Smiley series, in which the character George Smiley appears (in four out of the nine, Smiley is only a minor character). Within that series is the The Karla Trilogy (Books 5, 6 & 7).
1. A Call for the Dead (1961) – TBR (ebook)
2. A Murder of Quality (1962) – TBR (ebook)
3. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963) read
4. The Looking Glass War (1965)
5. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1974) read
6. The Honourable Schoolboy (1977) read (paperback)
7. Smiley’s People (1979) TBR (ebook)
8. The Secret Pilgrim (1990)
9. A Legacy of Spies (2017)
- A Small Town in Germany (1968)
- The Naive and Sentimental Lover (1971)
- The Little Drummer Girl (1983) – TBR (ebook)
- A Perfect Spy (1986) – TBR (ebook)
- The Russia House (1989)
- The Night Manager (1993) – TBR (ebook)
- Our Game (1995)
- The Tailor of Panama (1996)
- Single and Single (1999)
- The Constant Gardener (2000)- TBR (paperback)
- Absolute Friends (2003)
- The Mission Song (2006)
- A Most Wanted Man (2008)
- Our Kind of Traitor (2010) – TBR (ebook)
- A Delicate Truth (2013)
- Agent Running in the Field (2019)
- Silverview (2021)
As I’ve read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy, the next one I’ll read is The Honourable Schoolboy.
In this classic masterwork, le Carré expands upon his extraordinary vision of a secret world as George Smiley goes on the attack.
In the wake of a demoralizing infiltration by a Soviet double agent, Smiley has been made ringmaster of the Circus (aka the British Secret Service). Determined to restore the organization’s health and reputation, and bent on revenge, Smiley thrusts his own handpicked operative into action. Jerry Westerby, “The Honourable Schoolboy,” is dispatched to the Far East. A burial ground of French, British, and American colonial cultures, the region is a fabled testing ground of patriotic allegiances and a new showdown is about to begin.
And after that as I did enjoy watching the TV adaptation of The Night Manager a while back, I might read that later on.