We’re into November now and Carl’s R.I.P. book challenge is over. This year I completed the course. I did Peril the First, to read four books of mysteries, detective stories, horror stories, dark fantasies, and everything in between. I read 6!
- Waiting for Mr Right and other Sinister Stories by Andrew Taylor
- The Death Maze by Ariana Franklin
- Relics of the Dead by Ariana Franklin
- Not the End of the World by Christopher Brookmyre
- The Shining by Stephen King
- Ten Little Niggers/And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Well, some of them were very good and some were just OK, and some were scarier than others. Three of the six were books from my to-be-read shelves, books I’d been meaning to read for ages.
The scariest of all was The Shining!
But I don’t know if I’m up to reading its sequel, Dr Sleep! It sounds even more scary, because according to the description it’s about quasi-immortals, living off the ‘steam’ that children with the ‘shining’ produce when they are slowly tortured to death. That is most definitely not my cup of tea, but I have reserved a copy from the library …. just to have a look. The cover is enough to give me nightmares – that demonic looking cat has a resemblance to our cat! Oh no!