I began the 20 Books of Summer really well, reading 7 books in June. It all went downhill after that, but I’ve read 10 of the books I listed, so not too bad. And if I had stuck to my list and not read other books instead I would have completed the challenge as over the period from 1 June to 5 September I read 22 books – but then I’ve found before that as soon as I list books in this way I want to read books that aren’t on my list!
I began reading The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend, but wasn’t too impressed with the opening chapter. I may ‘abandon’ that book, but it might just have been the case of it being the wrong time for me to read it.
I really want to read Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively and Orlando by Virginia Woolf very soon and I hope to get round to the other books on the list before too long.
Here’s the list, with links to my posts on the books I read:
- The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
- The Sex Life of My Aunt by Mavis Cheek
- Asta’s Book by Barbara Vine ‘“ finished 14 June 2016
- High Rising by Angela Thirkell ‘“ finished 7 June 2016
- The Child’s Child by Barbara Vine
- The Glass Room by Simon Mawer ‘“ finished 22 June 2016
- The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend
- Small Wars by Sadie Jones
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – finished 5 September 2016
- Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin by W J Burley ‘“ finished 29 June 2016
- The Girl in the Cellar by Patricia Wentworth ‘“ finished 13 August 2016
- Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
- A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey ‘“ finished 17 June 2016
- Hamlet, Revenge! by Michael Innes
- The Wench is Dead by Colin Dexter ‘“ finished 3 September 2016
- Heat Wave by Penelope Lively ‘“ finished 26 June 2016
- Orlando by Virginia Woolf
- A Moment of Silence by Anna Dean
- The Water Horse by Julia Gregson
- Talking to the Dead by Harry Bingham ‘“ finished 10 June 2016
Thanks to Cathy @ 746 Books for setting up the challenge.