Slender Frenchwomen often told the co-founder of Green & Black’s chocolate that ‘they kept a bar of Green & Black’s in their desk drawer, to have a square at 4 pm which would keep them going till dinner …’ Could I be so disciplined and just eat one square?
Well, I can restrict myself to eating just one Ultimate Chocolate Brownie and whilst that can never really be thought to help keep anyone slender, eating one at 4 pm will certainly keep anyone going until dinner time!
I made a batch recently using the recipe from Green & Black’s Organic Ultimate Chocolate Recipes: the New Collection. This is a book mainly about baking, and it makes my mouth water just looking at it, full of recipes for cakes, cookies, cupcakes, cheesecakes, tarts soufflÃ©s, puddings, pies, and sweets such as truffles and chocolate marshmallows. They are all decadently chocolatey and scrumptious.
To make 24 chocolate brownies you need:
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g dark (70% cocoa solids) chocolate broken into pieces
- 5 large free-range eggs
- 450g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
- Melt butter and sugar together in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until the mixture is thick and creamy and when chocolate and sugar have melted together beat in the egg mixture
- Add flour and salted (sifted together first) and beat until smooth
- Bake in a tin 30x24x6cm, lined with greaseproof or baking parchment for about 20-25 minutes until the top has formed a crust just starting to crack.
- The brownie will not wobble but will be gooey inside
- Leave in the tin for 20 minutes and then cut into 24 squares and remove from the tin
Eat and enjoy!
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads. It’s open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. For more information, see the welcome post.