Most of my reading is fiction, but I do like to read non-fiction too. Last year I read 9 books and in 2014 I want to read more, maybe 12, which would average out at one a month. This page is where I’m recording the non-fiction I’ve read in 2014.
I’ve got plenty to choose from in different categories including Autobiographies, Biographies, Diaries, Letters, History, Philosophy, Religion, Writing, and Nature. I hope by the end of the year I’ll have read at least one book from each category.
- Shakespeare’s Restless World by Neil MacGregor (History)
- The Steel Bonnets: the Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers by George MacDonald Fraser (History)
- The English: a Portrait of a People by Jeremy Paxman (History, Sociology)
- Leaving Alexandria: a Memoir of Faith and Doubt by Richard Holloway (Biography, Religion)
- Sisters of Sinai by Janet Soskice (History, Biography, the Bible)
- Shakespeare: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd (Biography, Literature, History)
- I Murdered My Library by Linda Grant (Memoir, Books)
- Charles Dickens: a Life by Claire Tomalin (Biography, Literature, History)
- Mortality by Christopher Hitchens (Memoir, Cancer)
- A Short Book about Drawing by Andrew Marr (Art, Drawing, Painting)
- In Our Time by Melvyn Bragg (History, Philosophy etc)
- Corvus by Esther Woolfson (Birds, Nature, Memoirs)