Cathy at Cathy 746 Books has an annual challenge to read twenty books over the summer months starting on 1 June 2016 and running until 5 September 2016 – that’s 7 books a month! The aim is to read what is already on your shelves.
Last year I didn’t complete this challenge, even though I only went for 10 books, reading just 6 of the books I’d selected. So I must be mad to try to read 20 books this year. My problem is not reading that number of books, but sticking to the books I’ve chosen. I’ve found before that as soon as I list books in this way I want to read books that aren’t on my list!
Well, I decided to have a go anyway and walked round my bookshelves pulling out these books without spending much time thinking about my selection.
I’m not going to attempt to read them in any particular order. From top to bottom they are (click on the titles for a link to their Goodreads description):
- The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
- The Sex Life of My Aunt by Mavis Cheek
- Asta’s Book by Barbara Vine
- High Rising by Angela Thirkell
- The Child’s Child by Barbara Vine
- The Glass Room by Simon Mawer
- The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend
- Small Wars by Sadie Jones
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin by W J Burley
- The Girl in the Cellar by Patricia Wentworth
- Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
- A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey
- Hamlet, Revenge! by Michael Innes
- The Wench is Dead by Colin Dexter
- Heat Wave by Penelope Lively
- Orlando by Virginia Woolf
- A Moment of Silence by Anna Dean
- The Water Horse by Julia Gregson
- Talking to the Dead by Harry Bingham
Now, the question is, will I be able to stick to this list? I’m going to try! But I expect I’ll get diverted by other books before the end of the challenge – so be it.
Have you read any of these books (I’m sure many of you have), are there any that you think I should definitely read, or any that I should avoid? Do let me know what you think.